1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google's First Penguin 3.0 Update after a Year

Discussion in 'Google' started by jeffscott, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Good days guys! Google has announced that on the evening of Friday October 17, 2014 around 11:00PM they updated their Penguin 3.0 algorithm. Beginning on the late evening of Friday optimizers starts to notice a big changes in the Google's search results and as a proof my website that is in the 5th page of search results is now at the 2nd page after the latest Penguin 3.0 update. I think a big refresh on the search results has made because of the Penguin update. So what's the news about your websites?

2. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

I lost some traffic, but they made some Adsense layout changes that increased RPM, so I'm ok for now.

It's still ridiculously hard to rank for anything at the moment in my opinion, but they will have to change their course eventually when their ad revenue takes another hit.

What I find very problematic are exact match queries. Let's say you specifically search for "5 common mistakes when digging a hole in your garden for xyz reasons " and you wrote an article with that EXACT headline, you should rank #1, but at the moment you dont. Some "authority" site with miserable content can still rank higher than you even if that site only contains a few words about digging a hole and nothing more. This is in my opinion not what a good search engine should do. When a user searches for something and wraps it in quotes, he specifically asks the search engine to search for that exact phrase.

In my opinion that pretty much makes the search engine useless, because this has dramatic effects on other search queries as well. Aside from that it is not what I consider a democratic search engine. The backlink model was much more democratic than their current algorithm, because it favors corporate sites and endangers small businesses.

3. ran div

ran div New Member

ye, i have noticed that. i have also loss traffic of my website.

4. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

How much did you lose in %?

I lost about 5% - and it's still dropping a little.

5. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

As per my experience in optimization I think we must let go about the rankings and traffic but focusing in your targeted audience is the best way to do because as website owner and a marketer we must provide the needs and expectations of our users and benefits them in many ways then traffic, rankings, and conversions will follow.

6. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Good day oliversk and to our members here. I would like to remind all webmasters and site owners as well as the programmers out there that this update from Google webmaster guidelines is about to warn about blocking CSS & Javascript files. This action will affect or harm your popularity or search engine rankings.No visibility in search results, No organic traffic and the worst No conversion for the online businesses websites. Source: http://searchengineland.com/google-...ted-warn-blocking-css-javascript-files-206714

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  7. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

Great find, only makes sense to not block CSS and JS files

I guess in the past, a lot of webmasters improved their Google crawl rates by adding their JS and CSS files to their robots.txt file or used similar strategies to trick Google

I suppose Google will soon introduce more "layout algorithms" similar to the "Above the fold" algorithm that has been implemented already (encourage less ads above the fold).

8. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Is everyone here feel some major fluctuations or recoveries of rankings in the results page? It was happened December 5 evening and I also noticed some boost on rankings in my websites. I'm wondering that there is no official statement on this from Google. I want to know why it is called Penguin Double-take. Does anyone had take on this.

9. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

I also visited SE roundtable but there are no clarifications about the so called Penguin Double-Take Update and I want to share this site tech2notify for the content and screen shot from Algoroo site which provide the behavior of Google algorithm: http://tech2notify.in/google-penguin...e-take-update/ I'm still wondering why this update called as Penguin Double-Take Update or it can be called as Penguin 3.1 or something.

10. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Do you notice that its been a while since we found much shuffling throughout Google Panda and it is not normal that previously has been changing more often or so. There was a tweet from Glenn Gabe and stated that he have not seen any actions of Panda since October 24, which was the major. According to the tweet of Google: Search weather report: No major Panda update until the new year. Looks like the good Panda is also taking a vacation.

11. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Ways to Enhance the Best Content Formats of 2014

An interesting content on how to improve the best content formats of 2014 from Amanda Gallucci. We know that every pattern worked for variety of contexts and audiences as well as the publishers is always using and testing new kinds of story then discover some of the winning combinations for several of most famous content type of 2014. Product and services will be able to learn to improve and use these styles for their own and unique story as well as more effective than the original content. Source: http://moz.com/blog/how-to-repurpose-the-best-content-formats-of-2014

12. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

As a recap, Matt Cutts is on vacation until now and there are no implications of returning back in Google. Barry Schwartz take a poll, if Matt would ever return in Google. It has more than 500 respondents and the results was 40% thinks he would while 60% felt that Matt will never return to webspam team. I think there will be many speculations regarding on this issue but for me I think it will take more time because it will be a better change on his return not as the head of webspam team.