1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is affiliate marketing dying?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Marketing Forum' started by Rainman, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Member

Affiliate marketers relied on search engines for most of their traffic. The search engines like Google and Bing started losing out on revenues because most people would not click on ads but instead opted to click on affiliate links inserted at strategic points in the content they'd read. In response, Google lashed back at affiliate sites and most of the sites which had lots of affiliate links started getting less and less traffic from them [Google].

For that reason affiliate marketers started losing out on sales too.

Since Google does hate affiliate marketing, do you think that with more search algorithm updates, do you think their negative attitude [towards affiliate marketing] will hurt affiliate marketers?

2. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

I do agree that a large portion of affiliate marketing is dying, but I think that more than anything, the cause of it is the sheer amount of competition nowadays. Over the past few years people have started looking at affiliate marketing as an easy way to earn money, and that's what's wrong with affiliate marketing right now. Nobody is putting any real effort in to actually try and make money with the method - it's not as autopilot as you'd like to think!

3. whnuien

whnuien Member

I think it depends on the type of advertising affiliate marketers use. Google or Bing really are not the only way to promote affiliated products online.
    There are so many other ways and if one affiliate marketer works hard enough to gain attention from readers and customers then he will be found quickly.

4. Laughingmouse

Laughingmouse New Member

Affiliate marketing may be more difficult with Google's making changes to their algorithm, but that needn't have the huge negative impact that a lot of webmasters have invited by relying so much on Google.

Those webmasters who made it a point to find and use other active search engines will probably fair better. If I had been relying almost exclusively on Google, I'd try DDG.

However, I think affiliate programs are definitely dying off as companies find it cheaper to simply hire someone to do their marketing for them , in house.

5. Rube

Rube Member

I think it is up to affiliates to come up with ways of marketing that do not rely on Google or Bing. There are so many ways available to draw attention to content featuring affiliate links, without relying on search engines.

If you just set up a site or a blog to fill it with lots of affiliate links and then hope that people will find it in their search results, that is not going to work future. If you fill a site or a blog with good content and encourage people to sign up for regular emails, then you can use affiliate links in your marketing emails.

whnuien likes this.
  6. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

I do not believe that Google is targeting affiliate sites specifically, especially those that provide real value to visitors. Remember that in general, it is harder to rank in Google now, be it an affiliate site or not. Just try to do a few searches about reviews of physical objects and you are likely to find a lot of affiliate sites still ranking very well.

7. IMteabwoi

IMteabwoi Member

I would not say that affiliate marketing is dying what I would say though is the way that we used to do it is dying. I do agree that Google made it a lot harder for the little guys to make any money but the thing that I have learned about making money online is that you have to be able to adapt. You have to see changes happening and be quick to adapt to them or else you will get left behind or your business will simply die out eventually.

Its all about adapting because the old way that we used to do business is gone and now you just have to learn how to make it work now. Things like building your own email list in the niches that you are already a part of. You know those are the things that will make you money now. When you have your own list you have access to tons of traffic at the click of a button.

8. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

Professional affiliates dont rely solely on SEO traffic. You have to adept and invest more money these days. Follow the big money.

A lot of very profitable affiliate programs out there still pay well enough to set up high-converting landing pages and advertise on niche ad networks.

Adwords and Bing are very difficult to master and beginners should stay away from it until they know more about "buying" keywords and know how to track conversion rates using Prosper202

Although most products on Clickbank are utterly useless and usually dont sell well for a long time, there are exceptions. It always depends on what niche you're in. Knowing the niche in and out helps .. you will know where possible buyers hang out and can do media buys to get high-converting traffic very easily

9. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Are these affiliates may become your competitors in the future?

10. Jones Groba

Jones Groba New Member

I dont think so. As long as you follow the google policies, your sites will be ranked by google and will generate traffic even though your sites are affiliate based. It depends on how you promote your affiliate products. I think google only target the sites that are using black hat methods or spamming online. E.g. if you are using black hat off page seo or anything that's not comply with google I am sure you cannot generate any traffic and ranking. The right optimization is the best way to earn money from affiliate marketing.

11. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

Affiliate marketing will never really die because there is always a demand out there for products and anyone sending traffic to a product is in essence an affiliate marketer. So an insurance salesman would never really call himself affiliate marketer but in essence they are affiliated with an insurance company.

If you are talking about internet marketing, companies like QuinnStreet are still on top because they have very diversified traffic channels.

Go out there, check out the competition and start testing. That's all there is to affiliate marketing ..

12. Adem Ayem

Adem Ayem New Member

With the emergence of social networks like fb and Twitter, the capability attain for affiliate marketers has elevated notably. Social networks are an affiliate marketer’s dream come real: they offer a constantly converting feed for which they could tailor their commercials, as well as benefit precious remarketing facts on consumers’ conduct. That is a exceptionally untapped marketplace that is only going to maintain to enlarge. So affiliates aren’t dead and gone.