1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peak Google: How Google May Follow Microsoft's Footsteps

Discussion in 'Google' started by oliversk, Oct 23, 2014.

1. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

Very enlightening article: http://stratechery.com/2014/peak-google/

They will dominate search for years to come, but there are good signs they are too much relying on their monopoly and will fall victim to disruption eventually.

Sure, Google X has all sorts of nice products in development, but much like Microsoft, Google has a small PR problem. Their core competence is in creating awesome technology, but that is not sufficient. That's why Apple is almost twice the value of Google and Apple is still undervalued.

Yandex, Facebook, etc. are all lowering Google's profit margin, so less money will be available to support Google X anyway.

Will be interesting to see how this company develops over the next few years.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. oliversk

oliversk Active Member

Another very interesting article on the same subject:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ceo-larry-page-considers-google-a-teenager-2014-10

"Google founder and CEO Larry Page considers the company a teenager, but he want to make sure that it stays innovative even as it creeps into adulthood."

I think making Sundar Pichai head of the core products was a great move. Google much like Microsoft with Nadella (Microsoft CEO) put people at the top who know how to be innovative.

Very interesting move indeed. I think Google will also try to compete with Microsoft by bringing out a refined version of the Chrome OS for desktops and mobile devices, but much like Microsoft is incapable of creating a viable Google competitor, Google will most likely fail. It's the typical entrepreneurial dilemma: Focusing on your core competencies is important but you cant be innovative if you focus on the things you already know. If you try to be innovative as well and explore different routes your core business will fall behind.

It's really a classic tragic tale. All companies will ultimately fail, be it a small business or a huge corporation such as Google. Even if it's in a 100 years from now, Google and Microsoft will at some point be disrupted and become obsolete, they just don't know it yet.

My conclusion is that we need to embrace change and simply follow whatever is the most fun at the time. If it's not fun and you're not enjoying what you're doing, it's not worth doing.

And that's exactly what Page is doing. Stepping back and looking at the big picture, following whatever is the most fun and let other people handle the core business.

3. jeffscott

jeffscott Member

Well said and good observation oliversk. (y)
    I think it will be a long journey for Google to reach its adulthood but for the mean time its enjoying the teenage time and keep always maturing every now and then. :)